Use Form OP-5 to apply for a Mexican passport. (Photo: Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images )
- How to Renew Mexican Passports
- Who Needs a Visa to Enter Mexico?
- How to Get a Passport in Colorado
- How do I Obtain a Passport in State of Georgia?
Maybe your Mexican passport has expired, or perhaps you're applying for your very first one. Either way, it's time to track down and fill out a passport application – which, fortunately, you can do easily online.
The Mexican passport application form is also called form OP5, and you can find it online at the Secretary of Foreign Relations website. The application asks whether you're renewing a passport or applying for your first one, and for your personal and contact information. To help speed up the passport application process, you can print out and complete this form at home. If you're renewing a passport, have your expiring one on hand, as you'll be asked for your current passport number.
Making an Appointment
Unfortunately, the parts of the passport application process you can do at home stop right about there. You still have to make an appointment with a delegation. If you're living in Mexico, you'll visit one of the delegations there, most of which are in Mexico City. To schedule your appointment in Mexico, go to citas.se.gob.mx, or call 01800 8010 773.
If you reside in the United States but are trying to obtain a Mexican passport, you'll have to make an appointment with one of the Mexican delegates in the United States. There are 45 throughout the country:
- Little Rock
- Los Angeles
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Santa Ana.
- Del Rio
- Eagle Pass
- San Antonio.
- Atlanta, GA
- Boise, ID
- Chicago, IL
- Indianapolis, IN
- New Orleans, LA
- Boston, MA
- Detroit, MI
- Saint Paul, MN
- Kansas City, MO
- Omaha, NE
- Albuquerque, NM
- Las Vegas, NV
- New York, NY
- Raleigh, NC
- Portland, OR
- Philadelphia, PA
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Seattle, WA
- Washington, DC.
Other Documentation You Need
When it's time for your delegation appointment, bring your completed OP5 form, along with the following:
- Your current passport, if you're renewing it.
- Two passport-sized (3.5 x 4.5 cm) photos. These should be copies of a recent head shot where you're facing the camera without any glasses or clothing obstructing your face. The background should be white.
- Your passport application fee. All delegates and consulates accept cash. Those that accept credit cards usually only take Visa and MasterCard. The fee amount ranges from $60 to $130, as of 2017, and varies depending on which type of passport you need.
You'll find out when your passport will be ready at your appointment. Depending on the delegate, you might even be able to take your new passport home on the same day.
Keep in mind that if you're renewing a passport, you should do so before your current one expires. Applying for a passport renewal with a current passport is much easier than starting over from scratch after your passport has expired.
- Mexico Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Passport Application
- Mexico Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Passport Application Instructions
- Vancouver English Center: Mexican Embassies and Consulates in the U.S.
- Documents proving Mexican citizenship, such as birth certificates and driver's licenses must be submitted in their original form. The documents will be verified and returned within three to five days, according to the Mexico Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
- Apply for your Mexican passport well in advance of your travel dates to ensure that it arrives on time.
- Passport processing fees vary dramatically. Consult the nearest Mexican embassy or consulate for more information.
Brenna Swanston is a freelance writer, editor and journalist. She covers topics including environment, education, agriculture and travel. She previously reported for the Sun newspaper in Santa Maria, Calif., and holds a bachelor's in journalism from California Polytechnic State University. Swanston is an avid traveler and loves jazz, yoga and craft beer.
You will have to go into a Mexican consulate with your old passport and required documents in order to renew your Mexican passport. It is important that you do not allow your Mexican passport to expire as you will then have to apply for a Mexican passport as a first time applicant.
THE DELIVERY TIME OF PASSPORTS IS APPROXIMATELY EIGHT WEEKS.
*If the applicant presents a delayed birth certificate, complementary documents will be requested **May vary depending on the exchange rate of the day, no other currencies are accepted.
- Proof of Mexican Nationality. Only Mexican nationals may apply for a passport from the Mexican government. ...
- Proof of Identity. ...
- Payment Receipt. ...
- Certified CURP. ...
- Application for an Ordinary Mexican Passport (For Consular Offices)
No, you cannot travel to Mexico from any country with an expired passport. If you try to enter Mexico using a passport that has expired, you will be denied entry by Mexico's customs officers.
- Register through the Passport Seva Online Portal. ...
- Login to the Passport Seva Online Portal with the registered Login Id.
- Click "Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport" link.
- Fill in the required details in the form and submit.
If you're an Australian citizen 18 years of age or over and you want to apply for an Australian passport, you can do so online. To get started, visit the Australian Passport Office for information on: the documentation required. the application and lodgement process.
You are not required to visit the consulate located in your hometown; you may apply at any Mexican consulate around the world. In a few consulates, you are not required to make an appointment. For example, the Philadelphia Mexican consulate accepts walk-ins; arrive with your documents during office hours.
You will need to apply for Mexican Citizenship by birth ,complete a 'Solicitud de certificado de Nacionalidad Mexicana DNN-1' and provide the following required documents: An original and 2 photocopies of: Your birth certificate and the birth certificate of your Mexican parent.
|Expiration||3, 6, or 10 years (18 years or older)|
|Cost||MXN 1,470 (3 years) MXN 2,000 (6 years) MXN 3,505 (10 years)|
To book an appointment, first log in to the Mexitel portal with your account details. You will then arrive at a page that requires details of your chosen consulate, type of procedure (e.g. visa) and personal information. Click on SCHEDULE and a form with various steps will open.
Fortunately, the U.S. State Department and international U.S. Embassies can issue temporary or emergency passports. Even if you're traveling within 24 hours (last-minute business trip and your passport is expired?) a Passport Agency can help you get a passport in time for your departure.
Entry and Exit Requirements Into Mexico
A negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) is not required for entry. Health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry. Passengers and aircrew members arriving at Mexican airports may be subject to health screenings including temperature checks.
Mexico's passport is ranked 25th in terms of freedom of movement. So, Mexican passport holders can travel visa-free, with an eVisa, and get a visa on arrival to over 150 countries worldwide.
Mexican citizens who naturalize in the United States may keep their Mexican nationality but may not vote and may not run or serve in public office in Mexico. Those who obtained U.S. citizenship before 1998, however, automatically lost their Mexican nationality and needed to apply within 5 years to reclaim it.
When traveling in Mexico, the law requires that foreign visitors carry a passport and entry permit. You may be asked to present these documents at any point. If you do not present these documents, immigration authorities may lawfully detain you for up to 60 days while they review your immigration status.
Extension of Temporary Measure Allowing Return Travel to the United States on Expired U.S. Passport. U.S. citizens currently abroad whose passports expired on or after January 1, 2020, may be able to use their expired U.S. passport for return travel to the United States until June 30, 2022.
Fill out your DS-82 application and collect your documents. Be sure to include the $60 expedite fee in addition to the normal application fee. See Passport Fees for more information. Clearly mark "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the envelope.
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommender's ID Card copy.
- Consent letter for minors.
- Old passport for replacement.
When a normal application is filed, the passport is issued to the applicant within 30-45 days while if the application is made under the Tatkaal mode, the passport is issued within 7-14 days.
|Passport Type||Standard Fee (10-12 weeks)||Acceptance Agent Fee|
|New Adult Passport||$130||$35|
|Replacement Passport (lost, stolen, damaged)||$130||$35|
|Child (Minor) Passport||$100||$35|