Published April 12. 2022 9:59PM| Updated April 12. 2022 10:24PM
Day Staff Reports
New London —Coast Guard Academy's softball teamexploded for nine runs in the final two innings of the second game to erase a deficit Tuesday,completing the sweep of Mitchell, 8-5 and 11-3 in six innings.
Isabelle Shoyer was 7-for-8 at the plate in the two games and went the distance on the mound in game two for Coast Guard (10-6).
Gemma Landry and Brooke Whitmarsh had three hits to pace the Mariners (10-12).
• New London won its second straight game, 14-0 over Windham, shortened to five innings by the mercy rule. Sean Raymond pitched a complete game with six strikeouts and also had two hits, two runs scored and stole three bases. Eddie Torres, Isaiah Plaza and Michael Germoso had two hits apiece for the Whalers (2-2).
• Jack Lathrop went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and Tito Keifer had two hits and two runs scored as Waterford stayed unbeaten with a 10-5 win over St. Bernard. Colby Arnold was the winning pitcher for the Lancers (5-0). Colby Quinn had two hits, two runs scored and an RBI for St. Bernard (0-3).
• Chris Lusignan pitched a five-hitter and struck out six as Bacon Academy rolled to a 14-1 win over Griswold. Jack Novak was 3-for-4 with three RBI for the Bobcats (4-0) while Andrew Navickas had two hits and drove in five runs. Steven Laliberte had three hits and Luke Pennella had two hits and two RBI. Griswold is 2-2.
H.S. boys golf
• Nathan Sylvestre shot 48 in Grasso Tech's 230-232 loss to Wolcott Tech. Nolan Blewitt added a52 for the Eagles.
• Kyle Sikorsky shot a 4-over par 40 as Norwich Free Academy defeated East Lyme, 6-1, in an Eastern Connecticut ConferenceDivision I match at Norwich Golf Course. The Wildcats are 2-0, 1-0. Tyler Moore shot 43 for the Vikings (0-1, 0-1).
• Medalist Cameron DeCecco shot 41 as Montville defeated Plainfield 7-0 in an ECC Division III match at Foster (R.I.) Country Club. Morgun Whittaker shot 43 for Montville (2-0, 2-0).
• Cromwell defeated Old Lyme 185-214 in a Shoreline Conference match at the TPC at River Highlands. Pat Flanagan shot 43 for the Wildcats, who were opening their season.
• Woodstock Academy defeated Fitch, 4-3, in an ECC Division I match at Quinnatisset Country Club. Jack Kramer and Nate McCormack were co-medalists for the Falcons (2-1), both shooting 40.
H.S. girls' golf
• Medalist Keita Kotula helped the Norwich Free Academy girls to a 229-251 win over East Lyme and Old Lyme Country Club. Sarah Healy shot 56 for East Lyme (1-1).
H.S. girls' tennis
• Sarah Bailey, Claire Fenaughty and Tegan Opalenik won singles matches as Ledyard defeated Killingly, 6-1, in ECC Division II. The Colonels are 1-0, 1-0.
• Sam Tan and Callie Bass didn't lose a set in second and third singles as Old Lyme defeated Coginchaug, 6-1, in the Shoreline Conference. Elaina Morosky won No. 4 singles for the Wildcats (4-0, 4-0).
• Mara Wolff, Avni Kabra, Yurina Shirai and Riddhi Bansal won in singles as East Lyme defeated Windham, 7-0. Iris Liu and Avery Rindell, Priya Whitley and Gracie Davis and Jeanette Liu and Delanie Fresco-Hawes won in doubles for the Vikings (2-1).
• Julia Mielguj and Charlotte Beaulieu won first and second singles as Fitch blanked NFA 7-0. Maddie Beaulieu and Fiza Shariff won third and fourth singles for the Falcons (3-1). NFA is 1-2.
H.S. boys' tennis
• NFA won three singles matches and defeated New London, 4-2, in ECC Division II. Jonathan Silva won in singles for New London (0-2, 0-1). NFA is 1-1, 1-0.
• Charles Hinckley won No. 1 singles as Old Lyme defeated Coginchaug 7-0 in the Shoreline Conference. Griffin McGlinchey and Will Danes also won in singles for the Wildcats (2-1, 2-1).
H.S. boys' track & field
• Anthony Gaeta won the shot put (41 feet, 8 inches) and discus (139-7) to highlight Griswold's 107-35 win over Plainfield. Michael Strain added wins in the 800 (2:06) and 1,600 (4:44.60) for the Wolverines while Chancellor Walworth added wins the 300 hurdles (56.0) and javelin (119-3).
H.S. girls' track & field
• Taylor Bialowas won the 100 (13.84) and long jump (15-8.5) during Griswold's 67-38 loss to Plainfield.
• Tiernan Powers pitched a complete and struck out six as UConn Avery Point defeated Massasoit Community College, 11-1. The game was shortened to seven innings by the mercy rule. Dominic Morabito had three hits, two runs scored and an RBI for the Pointers.